This is a hands-on experience, because web-based classes and events just can't deliver the same education and inspiration as this in-the-studio experience.
Record Two Masters of the Electric Guitar
Spend three days in a world-class studio with Carl Verheyen (first-call LA session guitarist, Supertramp) and Albert Lee (solo artist, Eric Clapton, Emmylou Harris, Brad Paisley), learning the intricacies of tracking, editing, mixing, and more. Award-winning producer/engineer Mark Hornsby will guide you through every step of the process for three value-packed days of pros doing what they do best. Don’t miss this opportunity to sit in on an incredible 3-day recording session with these two titans of electric guitar.
What you'll learn and experience:
Tuesday — Learn Pro Recording Techniques
- Positioning mics for best results
- Setting up a rhythm tracking session (guitar, bass, drums, keys)
- Dialing in larger-than-life sounds
- Tracking session with Carl, Albert, and Mark
- Special meet-and-greet dinner with Carl, Albert, and Mark
Wednesday — Recording Overdubs and Editing Tracks
- Auditioning different mics and processing chains
- Overdubbing instruments, multiple takes, and more
- Comping tracks: how to choose the best takes
- Editing tracks with Pro Tools and third-party plug-ins
Thursday — Mixing Tracks
- Learning the best use of compression, EQ, and effects
- Fine-tuning guitar, bass, drums, and keys
- Employing automation
- Getting the most out of bus compression/processing
- Making the final tweaks: how to decide when the mix is done
Albert Lee, the living guitar legend, consummate sideman, and bandleader, spent the mid-’60s as a top R&B guitarist. But in the 1970s, Albert became one of the top guitarists in the world with an instantly recognizable tone and technique. Thanks to famous stints with Eric Clapton, the Everly Brothers, and Joe Cocker, in England Albert’s a household name, and in Nashville and Los Angeles he’s been one of the most in-demand session guitarists there is.
In his 40-plus years of playing the instrument, Carl has created a wildly successful, multifaceted career. He has 14 CDs and two live DVDs released worldwide, is commonly regarded as a guitar virtuoso capable of playing any style of music with remarkable mastery, and has been one of LA’s elite first-call session players for the past 25 years. Carl has also won numerous polls and musical honors in the US, Germany, France, Italy, and the UK.
Sweetwater Studios Vice President of Operations/Senior Producer/Engineer
Mark is an award-winning producer, engineer, musician, writer, and lecturer. Mark is known for his work with a wide variety of artists across many genres of music, from Garth Brooks and Alison Krauss to Godsmack, Steven Curtis Chapman, Big Big Train, Peter Erskine/Dr. Um, and the London Philharmonic.