|September 17, 2019|
This is a hands-on experience, because web-based classes just can’t deliver the same education and inspiration as this in-the-studio course.
Hang out in the studio and record one of the biggest thrash metal bands of all time.
Spend time in a world-class studio with Anthrax, one of the world’s greatest thrash metal bands, learning the intricacies of tracking, editing, mixing, and more. Award-winning producer/engineer Mark Hornsby will guide you through every step of the process during two value-packed days of real-world studio experience — and acclaimed director Nigel Dick will be joining us to film the whole thing. Don’t miss this opportunity to sit in on an incredible recording session with these titans of thrash metal, captured on video by one of the greatest music video directors of all time.
What you'll learn and experience:
Tuesday — Learn Pro Recording Techniques
- Positioning mics for best results
- Setting up a tracking session and dialing in larger-than-life sounds
- Q&A with the band — talk touring, album insights, and their impressive 38-year run
- Discussion with Nigel Dick about what it takes to film a high-energy band like Anthrax
- Tracking session with Joey, Frank, Charlie, Jonathan, Scott, and Mark, filmed by Nigel
- Special meet-and-greet dinner with Mark, the band and Nigel
Wednesday — Mixing Tracks
- Comping tracks: how to choose the best takes
- Editing tracks with Pro Tools and third-party plug-ins
- Learning the best use of compression, EQ, and effects
- Fine-tuning guitars, bass, drums, and vocals
- Employing automation
- Getting the most out of bus compression/processing
- Making the final tweaks: how to decide when the mix is done
MEET OUR SPECIAL GUESTS
The story of Anthrax is one of grit and guile in the face of outrageous odds. Formed in New York over three decades ago, the group that would go on to sell over 10 million records and become America’s ear-thrashing answer to the British metal movement has undergone multiple regenerations, and in every one they’ve set a new example for heavy metal mavericks looking to make a name for themselves. With a fierce eye to the future and a mind to their storied past, Anthrax’s many years together have allowed them to concoct a unique chemistry that has earned them their spot among the Big Four, and it’s pure magic (mixed with a little mayhem) to witness in the studio.
Multiple-award-winning, British-born, American-made filmmaker Nigel Dick has directed hundreds of music videos, many of them considered to be some of the most influential pieces in their respective genres. And when it comes to genres, he’s helmed them all — from the chart-topping hits of Guns N’ Roses and Oasis to Britney Spears’s breakout “Baby One More Time,” Nigel’s work in music videos has run the gamut in both music style and overall aesthetics. He’s been recognized the world over for his inventiveness in capturing live performances, commercials, documentaries, and feature films as well.
MEET YOUR INSTRUCTOR
Sweetwater Studios Vice President of Music Production and Senior Producer/Engineer
Mark is an award-winning producer, engineer, musician, writer, and lecturer. Mark is known for his work with a wide variety of artists across many genres of music, from Garth Brooks and Alison Krauss to Godsmack, Steven Curtis Chapman, Big Big Train, Peter Erskine/Dr. Um, and the London Philharmonic. He has also worked with Don Felder, Carl Verheyen, Robben Ford, Rick Nielson, Brent Mason, Adelitas Way, Paul Gilbert, Altitudes & Attitude, Eric Johnson, and Richie Faulkner.
Spaces are limited and filling up fast — reserve your spot today!