This is a hands-on experience, because web-based classes and events just can't deliver the same education and inspiration as this in-the-studio experience.
Capture the Complex Sounds of Jazz/Rock Fusion
Learn the ins and outs of recording from a real studio pro! While a band of world-class studio musicians performs a red-hot jazz/rock fusion arrangement, award-winning producer/engineer Mark Hornsby will delve into the intricacies of tracking, editing, mixing, and more. Don't miss this opportunity to sit in on an incredible 3-day recording session!
What you'll learn and experience:
Thursday — Learn Pro Recording Techniques
- Positioning mics for best results
- Setting up a rhythm tracking session (guitar, bass, drums, keys)
- Dialing in larger-than-life sounds
- Tracking session with Keith, Tom, Michael, Adam, and Mark
- Special meet-and-greet dinner with Mark and the band
Friday — Recording Overdubs and Editing Tracks
- Auditioning different mics and processing chains
- Overdubbing instruments, multiple takes, and more
- Comping tracks: how to choose the best takes
- Editing tracks with Pro Tools and third-party plug-ins
Saturday — Mixing Tracks
- Learning the best use of compression, EQ, and effects
- Fine-tuning guitar, bass, drums, and keys
- Employing automation
- Getting the most out of bus compression/processing
- Making the final tweaks: how to decide when the mix is done
Keith Carlock Drums
Voted best all-around drummer by Modern Drummer magazine, Keith has recorded and/or toured with John Mayer, Sting, Steely Dan, James Taylor, and Toto.
Tom Hemby Guitar
Known for his extraordinary tones, Tom has played guitar with artists such as Vince Gill, Rob Thomas, Michael McDonald, and Faith Hill. Tom also has an impressive résumé of songwriting credits.
Michael Whittaker Keyboard
A master of multiple genres, Michael has worked with Cake, Lionel Richie, Dave Matthews Band, and Paulina Rubio. Michael has composed scores for over 300 television episodes.
Adam Nitti Bass
An in-demand session bassist with a unique sound, Adam has performed and recorded with the Dave Weckl Band, Jeff Coffin and the Mu'tet, Susan Tedeschi, and Jimmy Herring. Adam is also a master instructor and clinician.
Sweetwater Studios Vice President of Operations/Senior Producer/Engineer
Mark is an award-winning producer, engineer, musician, writer, and lecturer. Mark is known for his work with a wide variety of artists across many genres of music, from Garth Brooks and Alison Krauss to Godsmack, Steven Curtis Chapman, Big Big Train, Peter Erskine/Dr. Um, and the London Philharmonic.